Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Things I had learned from Steve Jobs


A fellow blogger had posted Steve Jobs Speech during one of the Commencement Exercises at Stanford University in the US.

Steve Jobs, the man behind Apple and Pixar, had shared three stories from his life.

I was touched by his humility and moving speech.

Who would have known that he also came from no-one and nothing to the man that he is now?

Months back, my mom told me that my teachers from Grade School sent me an invitation, requesting if I could deliver a speech during the Graduation Ceremony.

To be honest, I would love to but unfortunately, I was already out of the country that time.

I would love to share what I had achieved in life so far, what things I have to give up in pursuit of my dreams and all other stories.

Suddenly, I remembered when I used to practice the speech for my own graduation rights in Grade School.

Since I was the 2nd placer only, I will need to deliver my speech in pure Filipino and our First Honors will have hers in English.

I really had a hard time memorizing it and the bad thing is, I can no longer remember anything, any line, that I had delivered nowadays.

I had spent hours practicing it and even cried during the last one as I have this accent, which according to my mentor, should be dropped.

I also have stage fright – I am pleased that nowadays, I am not that scared anymore.

During the ceremony itself, I was able to deliver my speech well and I was so relieved.

It was the longest 30 minutes of my life and I was very thankful that it all ended well.

Anyways, let me share the things I had learned from Steve Job’s speech.

“You can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards”.

I believe we all know how to connect the dots.

You have to follow the number or the letters at least, to see the picture.

But the point is, you have to start from somewhere.

You have to start from No. 1 or Letter “A”.

We all have to start from the lowest step of the ladder and move our way up.

We may have missed something so we have to move back.

“Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there.”

What will you do if you’ll find out that this day is your last day to live?

I oftentimes get this question and I would normally ask them back: why would you wait for that time to do what you would like to?

As Steven Jobs put it, “Even people who want to go to heaven don’t want to die yet to get there”.

But you know what really matters? It’s the journey – how well you live your life, how many lives have you touched, how many souls were you able to heal.

I am always thinking that I only get one chance on every thing thus I grab each and every opportunity that I can.

There are times that I don’t get what I want but I will never know if I will not try.

“You've got to find what you love.”

When I had seen Steve Jobs' video, I was in a sad point in my life and I don’t know why.

Maybe because of the stress – I had recently changed my work shift to evening and I think if people don’t get enough sleep, they get emotional.

My Dad had had cardiac arrest and Thanks God, it was not a fatal one but he is under medication.

My Grandmother just died a few weeks back.

My Boyfriend faced some challenges at work.

I am thinking about career moves and the like.

And there is Steve Jobs saying “You’ve got to find what you love”.

I love my job now – it’s my meal ticket, my bread and butter as they say but what I like the most is that, I feel at home and not working but I still feel like something is missing.

I am trying to look for that missing piece or pieces.

I remember the days in my old company, when I was crying before I go to work and really drag myself to the office as I cannot take it anymore.

I had the courage to leave that company to live and work abroad.

“Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.”

If you will stay hungry and foolish – you will always crave for more.

Simply put, one should not stop feeding himself of knowledge, experience and everything else.

I promised myself, I will engage in different things – writing, reading, stock investment and how it works, photography and a lot more.

I will try my best to stay hungry. I will try my best to stay foolish.

No comments:

Post a Comment