Saturday, March 5, 2011

When Everything Turned “Yellow”

It was exactly 25 years after the Philippines finally got its democracy back.

A dictator was thrown out and the Filipino people felt what they had missed for quite a long time: Freedom.

I was still 3 years old during that time and as I was growing my Mom would normally tell me their experiences about the EDSA Revolution.

We used to live in Pasig City and would go home to the province at least twice a month to visit and spend time with my grandparents. During the rallies, they had decided to go home in Batangas and my Dad would join the protests. I wasn’t clueless as it had been part of our history – taught in school. My parents would tell me how the people from different walks of life held hands and cheered on the same tune and rhythm; how they had worn the same color to show support and unity; how they had shared the same food on the street; how they had prayed so hard and rejoiced when everything had turned yellow.

I may not have felt the same feeling as they did but I can see the emotions in their eyes every moment they would reminisce. The scenes were also shown in the TV; can be seen on the internet and can be read still on the papers.

During that time, it was not a mere battle of the colors: Red – being the color of the Marcoses versus Yellow – being the color of the late President Cory Aquino. It was a battle of ideology; of what should happen versus what is happening; of what was promised against what is being delivered; what should have been and what should have not.

I have had experienced various rallies and demonstrations being a graduate of the State University (University of the Philippines). I was lucky enough to have witnessed and joined the second revolution, commonly known as EDSA Dos. I could still remember how my flatmates and I would knock the windows of the cars while stuck in traffic, asking for whatever donation they could give. I was so overwhelmed: some gave 500 and 100 Peso bills; we had received donuts from a group of nuns and the like. It became more exhilarating when we had reached EDSA. There were performers on the stage; people would chant and pray; we had survived couple of days as we had received food from fellow Filipinos – some gave sandwiches, I think I’d eaten all the kinds of biscuits there; we had received boxes of bottled water and soda. And all of our sacrifices paid off. The President that time had decided to step down.

I was thinking it may have felt almost the same like the first one – less the Military Forces, armed men, military tanks and the like. The feeling is indescribable.

Today, whenever I watch the news I am saddened by the fact that some countries have to experience what we had felt during the Martial Law. Take the case of Tunisia, Egypt and Libya to name a few. People would rally up, gather and protest begging their leaders to step down. Tunisia and Egypt are lucky enough and we are also hoping the best for the other ones. Hopefully, our country would not go through the same thing again.

EDSA may be known today as a busy place – always jammed with traffic, road accidents or a main street to go to the major shopping malls. Yellow may have been the color of freedom and unity. We have to bear in mind that it goes deeper than that. EDSA Revolution had shown that rallies need not be violent; differences amongst people can be put aside; God really answers the prayers of those who are patient enough to wait. It had inspired not only Filipinos and had caused the “Ripple Effect” across other nations.

We cannot thank those people enough who had sacrificed their lives for us to live freely. We may not be enjoying the things that we are having or loving at this point in time if not for them.

However, we should also bear in mind, that it is not enough to give them thanks. For sure they would be grateful, if we will take care of the freedom that they had entrusted on us and make the most out of it. Our greatest challenge is to keep and use it to improve every Filipino’s life – it need not be drastic one, simple acts of kindness, change and motivation will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment