Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Boy Who Wished...

December 18th, 2008

“I was crying because I have no shoes until I saw a man without feet…”

I was watching the TV last night, what else, it was The Filipino Channel.

Unfortunately, our Showtime subscription is not working (it’s silly because we are the dealer here in Qatar).

My boyfriend would tease me and my flatmates, because the shows on the said channels are mostly games.

I reasoned out that it’s like our “makes me feel at home” treat.

It was Wowowee that am watching that time and the portion called “Willie of Fortune”.

They used to have players’ categories such as beauticians, street vendors, those whose partners are working overseas, etc.

The players last night are the kids of the helpers at home.

There are a total of 6 players but the one that touched me the most is the last player: a little boy aged 12, who’s still at 2nd grade in school.

When asked why it was so, he answered naturally, “Because am always sick…”

His mom is also there. She is also sick (she’s got asthma, the little one has a lung disease and the dad has Polio).

When Willie, the host, asked him what would be his wished this coming Christmas.

The boy said, “I would just like to have a new pair of school shoes...”

Then Willie asked, “Don’t you have one?”

“My shoes are not good now; they’re already worn out because of the rain… any shoes will be ok; the one that is not even for rich people will do…”

There…

A simple wish coming from a shabby little boy who you would have mistaken younger than his age…

It brought me and my friend Mimi to tears…

Here’s a boy, who’s got a simple wish to make up his Christmas.

Not even a PSP as any kid ought to receive this merry season or an iPhone or the super thin Mac book for the “tech-savvy” people…

Only a pair of shoes…

Sigh…

Then people from the audience started coming towards him giving him money so that he can buy one.

The line got longer and longer…

That time, I realized that hey, it’s not true that nowadays people are apathetic or self-centered…

It also made me feel blessed and thankful for everything that I have:

I have my family back home waiting for me to come and take my vacation;

I have friends living with me here;

I have a boyfriend who could bear with my mood swings;

I have a job: a stable I can say and good one;

I was able to send money to my family and have some left for myself;

I have a blanket to keep me warm this cold season;

I am able to eat at least 3 times a day;

I am able to speak and write…

I am healthy…

I wake up each morning…


I just can’t count them all: the one that I had received and still receiving up to this very minute.

It reminded me the true spirit of Christmas: being thankful for everything, be it good or bad; loving each other unconditionally and giving what you can without expecting anything in return.

I will never forget this little boy…

The little, innocent boy who was not ashamed to wish and hope… and got more than what he’d wished and hoped for…

No comments:

Post a Comment