Sunday, December 31, 2017

2018


As I officially say goodbye to 2017, I would like to recount some of the things that happened in this wonderful year. 

2018...Oh man, that's quite surreal! 

I am always grateful to be here, working, living a healthy life, was able to travel and know a whole lot of people and these are amongst the best and most memorable of them all (not in a particular order): 

1) Do Volunteer Work 

I have always been passionate about doing volunteer works (it is good for the soul). 

I was a volunteer tutor in an institute here in Doha and was helping my fellow kababayans to review for the IELTS Exam. 

After almost 4 batches, I met a lot of Filipinos who would like to have better lives and move to countries that would benefit their families. 

It is quite inspiring as they have come from different walks of life and have one goal: to move somewhere (some in Canada, New Zealand, the US, Australia, New Zealand). 

Mere "Thank Yous" are quite heart-warming! 

2) Death and everything that comes with it. 

It may not be the best experience that I had, however, it is one of the most memorable. 

We had celebrated my Dad's first death anniversary and remembering his death always makes me teary-eyed. 

We have come together as a family and am always proud and thankful to have him as my Dad. 

I have always wondered what it feels like on losing someone, yes, you may have seen it in movies but it is indeed different if it is one of your own. 

I could clearly remember taking that flight home all alone and praying that I make it just in time; cannot feel my tummy, was feeling cold all over and was relieved that I made it to the hospital. 

My Dad was in Coma and never woke up. 

Signing that waiver, removing the life support and waiting for him to breathe his last are the most painful, heart-wrenching experiences that I have ever had. 

Seeing the flat line and hearing that beeping sound is still echoing inside my head up until now. 

We had said our final words of love to him and I promised him that being the eldest, I will take care of the family, as always. 

3) Work, Work, Work 

Yes, I still belong to the elite group of people called "employed" Alhamdullilah. 

It is almost 10 years since I move to Qatar and am lucky to have my job still. 

I know that living and working in this country is just temporary and I know that if the time comes that I will have to leave - it only means that I have done my part and there is another mountain to climb, other opportunities to explore and other world to rule.

4) Finished a short course.  

My friend and I are always talking about having a small business. 

I enrolled in New Enterprise Planning Course in the UP Open University and was so happy to finish it with distinction. 

Am planning to take the Project Management Course in a few months time and I hope I can pass the exam certification exam too. 

5) Travel. 

We were lucky enough to travel to Africa this year! 

It was great as it's the first time for my husband and I to travel alone. 

We are now looking for our next itinerary. 

6) Save.

Thanks to my Hubby for keeping our finances in check. 

Being married and having to deal with all the aspects of life that comes with it is not easy-peasy. 

We are blessed enough to be in the same pace and like what I told him before, we are always a team no matter what. 

We are working towards our target or goal and are hoping that we can achieve that. 

We are always finding ways to save more - talk about the vouchers and the discounts and those points-earning things! 

The goal is to be rich and not look rich. 

7) Shop Less. 

By shopping less, I meant clothes and shoes and things that we don't really need. 

If it's on sale, it does not mean you have to buy. 

I was quite happy that we are not having a lot of trips to the malls except when grocery shopping and when we do, we only but the things that we only need or those that we are to cook. 

This 2018, I am not to write a New Year's Resolution - am not really a big fan of that. 

Instead, I plan to list down the things that I want to do without the pressure of doing them within the year. 

1 - Invest in Mutual Funds or Stocks religiously. 

2 - Enjoy more chill, relaxed time. 

3 - Travel. 

4 - Live minimally. 

5 - Do that Peso-Savings Challenge 

Wheew, that's not a lot but I hope I can commit to them. 

What's on your list? 


No comments:

Post a Comment