Saturday, February 18, 2017

Dressing Simply

It has been months since I started with Project 333.

To be honest, it was quite a challenge.

I am someone who wants to match the shoes with the bag or the bag with the clothes, etc.

Yes, I may not seem like it but I used to be like that!

Then, I was hooked on Instagram and discovered a whole new world of people living with a few things and are happy and content, and to be honest, they are even more fashionable in my opinion!

Months back, my friend and I gathered all of our unused, barely worn clothes and sold them off, some we had donated and given away.  

Imagine having a closet full of clothes but wearing only half of them most of the time.

Recently, I had cleaned up my closet again and this time I had included my husband’s.

I ended up with bags of clothes again.

I had ceased clothes shopping for some time since I was on a Shopping Ban and I give myself a thumbs up and high fives as I only bought a knit jumper and a cardigan for this winter season and I survived!

That’s a great achievement for me.

Let me tell you how I managed/am managing so far and the lessons I have learned along the way.

I find someone/people to look up to.

My friend told me about Project 333 then I searched it in Instagram.

There I found Courtney of Be More with Less and right away, I headed to my room and listed down my 33 items – it was tough!

The process of adding then removing, then adding some items again is tedious. Haha

The Effortless Closet, Lee Vosburgh and Sustainably Chic are amongst my favorites in Instagram.

Marie Kondo is also on top of my list.

If you don’t need/like it, loose it.

To tell you honestly, I had some clothes that are just collecting dust in my closet: the winter jacket I bought during sale from Mango is still unworn after 3 years; the blue dress I got from Marks and Spencer is also still unworn; my Aldo green heels and ankle boots were worn at most thrice; some shirts I bought during the sale from Mango and Zara are still with tags.

I used to have a whole lot of makeup: eyeshadows, makeup palettes, lipsticks, lotions, moisturizers, etc.

I got rid of most of them, given them away and kept only the ones that I really need.

The lesson is to not buy anything that you don’t need or you don’t like.

It does not mean that you need it just because it is on sale. 

Be creative and discover your personal style.

I prefer clothes that I am comfortable in: not too tight but not too sloppy; I don’t want to follow the trend.

I now look for clothes that will survive this ever-changing world in the sense of fashion.

Don’t be afraid to wear the same things over and over again.

Learn the art of mixing and matching.

Invest in the good things.

It is always best to buy clothes/bags that will last rather than buying cheap ones that get worn out easily.

Be wary of those items on sale. Focus and don’t get distracted by the red tags.

It takes a lot of courage and discipline to stick to it but I must say you have to give it a try.

Nowadays, dressing simply makes me happier – I have lesser things to organize, more time to enjoy the things I like/have to do!

Let me leave you with this quote.



No comments:

Post a Comment