Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday...Top Ten Foods from the Philippines I Miss the Most

I've been away from home for 4 years and 2 months exactly and I did not even notice!

I miss our home, my family and whole lot more!

For this week, I've listed down foods that I am craving for, and I will make sure that I'll have these

when I get home hopefully next year.

1. Green Mangoes and Bagoong 

Ahhh, the crunch, the sourness of the mangoes and the saltiness of the bagoong makes me drool. 

I remember picking some from our relatives trees and eat them together with my brothers.


2. Bibingka

The traditional Rice Cake/Bibingka are cooked on charcoal and wood.

It is made from glutinous rice or "malagkit" with brown sugar on top.

I always like the sugar if it's almost burnt. 


3. Bilo-Bilo

Glutinous rice rolled in small balls and cooked with some tapioca and sugar.

Some people put in jackfruit or purple yam.


4. Espasol

I usually buy it from one of the shops near the Bus Stop when I am going to Manila.


5. Ginataang Hipon 

 The small shrimps cooked with coconut milk...yummy!


6. Lomi/Gotong Batangas

Our province is known for it's Lomi - a kind of noodles recipe and Goto - a type of rice porridge.

They taste good and amongst my comfort foods during the rainy season.


7. Ice Scramble

Literally, it is shaved ice and colored pink, with sugar, powdered milk and Hershey's Chocolate

Syrup on top. 


8. Suman sa Lihiya

My mom would always cook this one - during Christmas, All Saints Day, etc. 
It's again glutinous rice wrapped in banana leaves and cooked over boiling water.

She would always make a sauce like a maple syrup one from coconut milk and sugar - I forgot what

it's called.


9. Buko Pie

One of the staple pasalubongs that Filipinos love is the Buko Pie.

When I was in college and on my way home from Los Banos to Batangas, I would see how people

lined up to buy this one from one of the famous shops there.


10. Halo-Halo

I remember buying one from our neighbor especially during summer time. 

Made from different fruits, most of them are sweetened, and topped with shaved ice, slices of Leche

Flan and Halayang Ube, a little evaporated milk and if you ordered the special one, there is a scoop

or two of ice cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment